Updated 20-II-2016

Euclid Glass Works

The Euclid Glass Division was the third glassmaking facility of General Electric, and augmented the output of the Edison Lamp Work's Fostoria Glass Division, and the National Lamp Works' Niles Glass Division. Its precise origins are not known, but references cite its existence in 1912. It was located on East 152nd Street in Cleveland, Ohio, and was one of the first buildings on that vast industrial site which for a hundred years was engaged in the production of all kinds of pre-materials and components for supply to other final assembly lamp factories. It was closed in 1919 and the building was taken over by General Electric's radio tube division, the Radiophone Corporation of America, which had been founded within the Cuyahoga Lamp Plant at NELA Park. In 1932, RCA moved its electronic tube production to Harrison, New Jersey. At the same time, GE's Pitney Glass Works needed room for expansion and the vacated RCA site returned to glassmaking, under the name of the New Pitney Glass Works. It is not certain whether or not the original Euclid Glass buildings were maintained.

Address 1133 East 152nd Street, Cleveland, Ohio, OH44110, U.S.A.
Location Centre of site approximately 41.5475°N, -81.5730°E
Opened Pre-1912.
Closed 1919.
Products Glass Bulbs & Tubing


References
1 A Century of Light, James A. Cox, published by The Benjamin Company / Rutgers, 1979, ISBN 0-87502-062-3, p.138-140.
2 List of Members, Transactions of the American Electrochemical Society, Vol.XXX 1916, p.37.
3 Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol.1 1918, pp.72 & 825.