Updated 21-II-2016

East Cleveland Lamp Plant

The East Cleveland Lamp Works was one of several production facilities within GE's NELA Park Headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio. It was located in Building 329, which was originally built in 1920 to house the Experimental Engineering Department. In 1933 the building was converted to office space, but in 1939 returned to a manufacturing function with the creation of the East Cleveland Lamp Works. Its primary products were special incandescent lamps for projection applications. In 1942 its horizons were broadened when it became home to GE's Electronics division. Lampmaking ended in 1961, when the photographic and projection lamps having ordinary incandescent-type bases were relocated to the company's Bellevue Lamp Plant, and the remainder having special and pin-type bases were moved to the Mattoon Lamp Plant. During the 1990s, Building 329 was occupied by the Information Systems & Mail Centre. A second construction, Building 329A is directly adjacent to Building 329 and today also accommodates the Information Systems department - it is not known whether or not this also formed part of the East Cleveland Lamp Works.

Address NELA Park, 1975 Noble Road, East Cleveland, Ohio 44112, U.S.A.
Location 41.5402°E, -81.5589°N.
Opened 1939.
Closed 1961.
Products Incandescent lamps for photographic and projection applications, possibly also halogen photo lamps and electronic components.

1 Stem Marks on National Lamps, The Incandescent Electric Lamp 1880-1925, E.J. Covington, NELA Press, 1998 pp.51-55.
2 GE Standardizing Notice 12-1-4, Large Lamp Works Factory Code Symbols, August 6th 1940.
3 GE Standardizing Notice 12-1-4, Lamp Plant Identification Code, May 5th 1961.
4 Foursquare - Location of GE Lighting East Cleveland Lamp Building 329.
5 Coopcities - Location of GE Lighting East Cleveland Lamp Building 329.
6 The Sandusky Register, 5th June 1961 - Cites location of East Cleveland Lamp Works as being within the NELA Park grounds.
7 The Sandusky Register, 30th March 1963 - Profile of Fracis N. Hartjen, joined East Cleveland Lamp Plant in 1939.
8 Ohio State University, Alumni Sketch of W.B. Gillen (East Cleveland Lamp Works Assistant Manager), April 1944 p.15.
9 Establishement of GE's Electronics Division at NELA Park, Steel Volume 111 No. 16, 19th October 1942, p.57.